Yes, I am going on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua!
This is something I have wanted to do for a long time. However, the last 12 years or so I have made every excuse I can think of. You know... the ones we all use money, time, kids, etc.
My biggest excuse would have been that I could not leave my kids for a week.I think leaving for a week last year to go to South Korea allowed me to realize that I can do this. My kids will be ok because they have an awesome dad, grandparents, and Mrs. Vivi that loves them too and will take care of them while I am gone.
There are kids there that are not ok. Yes, I am going to want to bring them home with me but I know that is not possible so I will just love on them while I am there.
Have you ever read the book Radical by David Platt? Well, my 6am bible study group read it. It's hard not to go after you read it. This book was that little whisper that said, "Go!" David Platt quotes Romans 10.
"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
How, then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent?
People say there are plenty of mission opportunities here and yes that is true. More than likely if you are exposed to TV here in the US, especially in the past few weeks, you have heard the word religion and God just from following Tebow. But what about those outside of the US who have never heard of Jesus?
We had our first meeting two weeks ago on a Sunday. We went to church that morning and our pastor's sermon that morning was titled The Greater Famine. Even as Christians we should be hungry and thirsty for God's word. But what is it like for those who have never heard? It's our job to spread that word and feel their hunger and emptiness. He quoted Matthew 5:3-10
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
At the meeting another man, who has been on multiple trips, also quoted these verses. Coincidence? I think not.
I will not be alone on this trip. There is a group of 60 going and two of them are my boss and a friend of mine. Most of the other 50 something will be doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and eye doctors from six different states.
We will be flying into Managua and traveling by bus to a village called Cuatros Esquinas in the mountainous region.
I have to admit when I read the packing list and it says to bring flashlights, insect repellant, and moth balls to keep around your mat where you sleep makes me cringe a little. Bathing and going to the bathroom will be an adventure too. But one thing is for sure..... I will appreciate my lifestyle a lot more.
I am very excited!. Our team leader is still trying to raise money so we can buy rice and beans to feed these families once we get there. Because we are in the mountainous region it will be poor. Maybe you are not able to leave for a week to go on a mission trip but you would like to give to help buy food. If so, please contact me.
Please pray for our team.


um, awesome post. (period)
ReplyDeletei think i might be just as excited for you as i am for myself. seriously. can you just pack me in your suitcase and let me love on the little kiddos, despite my lack of medical knowledge? ha!
love your heart. and i love that you are GOING.
praying for peace that only HE can give as you prepare to leave.
loooovvveee you
Yeah! What Brittany said, "um, awesome post!" I think this is totally awesome! Nothing more humbling than to do what you will be doing. What a big heart you have Cindy. Many many prayers on your adventure and I hope you can take pictures? Would love to see from your point of view!
ReplyDelete"YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU." says GOD. (oh, yes, me too). Girlfriend, you are my soul (and Seoul) sister. I know we've never met, but we've got a few things in common. Can you pack me in your suitcase, too? Ever since I became an RN I have wanted to go on a medical mission. God is leading me to the orphans and to missionary work, but I am not sure what skills he'll use. The Lord God has to make the path straight. Today, I was wondering how I could train to go on a medical mission trip. Besides my short stint of working at a cancer clinic last year, I have been out of nursing for 3 (almost 4 years now). I have 4 kids, so I've got lots of excuses. Yesterday, in our Bible study the thought dawned on me that if God can DESTROY an army then HE can do the same with whatever roadblock that's in my way to HIS purpose for me.
ReplyDeleteLove on those kids for me too. I'll be praying for you and your team!
GOD BLESS!!
Christina
Awesome post!! You are awesome woman, and so glad to be getting to know you.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! Will be praying for you as you go and for your family while they stay.
ReplyDelete